Dom, 3Z9DX planning to be active again as 3D2CR from Conway Reef, IOTA OC - 112, starting 17 September 2021 during 2 week.
That will be Single Op DX Pedition.
More information soon.
3D2CR Team start their activity from Conway Reef, IOTA OC - 112 today, 1 June 2019.
Team - 3Z9DX, JE1CKA.
They will operate on HF Bands.
QSL via ClubLog OQRS, LOTW.3D2CR
3D2CR Conway Reef News 18 September 2021
Now the activity in progress. The first qso in the log on Sep. 18, 03:41 utc. Due to very windy weather currently 20m and 17m antennas assembled. Later today planning to install 15m, 30m and 40m antennas. Antennas for 80m and other bands tomorrow - weather permitting. Propagation on 17m better than 20m. More news to come soon.
3D2CR Conway Reef 17 September 2021
Arrived at Conway Reef at 07.23 am 18 September 2021, Conway Reef. Its too windy 32 knots to attempt a landing on the island.
Waiting for the wind to cool down.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 15 September 2021
Dom, 3D2USU just out of marina heading to Conway Reef today at 09.00 UTC.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 8 December 2019
QSL Cards will be printed soon.
Conway Reef Statistic
QSOs Per Day and Operator of different DX Peditions.
3D2CR Conway Reef DX Pedition Log, QSL Policy
We’re working through some 3D2CR log issues. Basically what it boils down to is there are over 5,300 FT8 QSO’s in a adi file on one laptop, we can see them all, but when uploaded only shows 2,000+. We have a half dozen folks working on it, and when the log is 100% we will make an announcement.
Now let’s discuss our QSL Policy. Our Rebel QSL Policy states, “No Buro. Not now, not in 6 months, not in 2 years. OQRS only”. Now let’s translate that into English, “No Buro. Not now, not in 6 months, not in 2 years. OQRS only”. We are not members of the buro, nor are we ever going to become members of the Buro.
It’s come to our attention that a few PAID subscription services and Internet News Providers have taken issue with our QSL Policy. Oh, the hypocrisy! They charge YOU the good readers $50 a year and charge their advertisers mere thousands of dollars a year to put their logo’s on their Website, but they want the Rebels to offer free QSLs to the world via the Buro? Give it a rest. How about this? Maybe we should run a promotion that we’ll offer a FREE QSL to anybody that cancels the Daily DX subscription and saves themselves $50 a year, $500 a decade or $1,250 a Quarter Century! For any companies that cancel their DX World advertising – maybe we should offer FREE QSL confirmations to all your company employees? We really can do that ya’ know. We make and publish our own Rebel DX Group news.
We think it’s comical Barney, Colon and a few others have something to say about our QSL policy while they collect directly and indirectly from the Ham Community at large, and then give nothing to the folks making the news. They gave zero. They steal our news, but give nothing. We do not want any part of their scam. We do not want anything to do with Hams that take your money for news they paid nothing for, and then complain about the Rebels when we charge $5 per card after we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to activate rare and semi-rare locations for the Ham Community. Our advice to them is maybe they should stick to what it is they do, and we’ll do what the Rebels do.
About all we can say is if you think a $5 donation is too much for the Rebels to activate a rare DX location, then please save your money and do not work us. Like Geico says, “so easy a caveman can do it”. And if we go on a DXpedition in the future and nobody wants to work us, well, we’ve eaten even bigger attempts now haven’t we? We’ll take that chance.
The Rebels are the Rebels, and that’s the way it is.
N0UN and 3Z9DX Founders of Rebel DX Group.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 13 June 2019
Not all QSOs is uploaded to ClubLog yet and team still have problem converting logs from WSJT X to ADIF file but its expected that problem will be fixed end of this week or early next week.
That was quite expensive DX Pedition for the team and if ham radio community or Amateur Radio Clubs want to provide financial support you can do it via rebeldxgroup.com website or via ClubLog.
That will be highly appreciated.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 12 June 2019
Team is back to Fiji.
Part of the log already uploaded to ClubLog but some of the QSOs is not uploaded yet team is have some issues converting QSOs from WSJT X to ADIF and they working on that now.
They will fix that problem soon.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 10 June 2019 3D2CR QRT
Dom and Team are on their way to Fiji. They hoisted the anchor a little after 0000Z, 10 June and are 5 hours into their voyage to Fiji. At this moment they are making 7.5 knots under sail and utilizing both engines.
They broke down the operating position(s) on the reef during low tide so when high tide came they were ready and able to get everything off the reef in 11 trips with the zodiac. This readiness for high tide saved quite a bit of time from the 30 expected back and forth trips to the catamaran anchored over a mile away.
Dom did mention they lost 3 anchors on the catamaran. One to a broken chain, and two tangling into the coral.
The Rebel catamaran will need some maintenance and repairs after docking Fiji. Early expectations are for the next leg of the Pacific Tour landing Banaba as T33T in a month or so. Bob and John, excellent sailors from Fiji who sat with the catamaran off the reef are being bribed to also make the trip to Banaba.
As I write this post, Tack and Taddy are getting some well deserved rest, John and Bob at the helm, and Dom slept for a few hours and just now checked into the ANZA Net on 14.183 as E51DOM/MM with the vessels Icom 706 MKIIG and wire.
2.5 days under sail to Fiji is expected.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 9 June 2019
The 3D2CR Conway Reef Team is aware of the weather reports and has been making preparations for their travel back to Fiji. Dom is limited by weight in the zodiac making the trek back and forth to the catamaran. Expected to be over 30 separate trips at high tide.
Damaging Heavy Swell Warning Bulletin Number 07 Issued from the National Weather Forecasting Centre Nadi at 9:00pm on Sunday the 9th of June, 2019.
A DAMAGING HEAVY SWELL WARNING REMAINS IN FORCE FOR THE SOUTHERN COASTAL AREAS OF MAMANUCA GROUP, VITI LEVU, KADAVU, BEQA, VATULELE, LOMAIVITI AND SOUTHERN LAU GROUP. Situation: A high pressure system to the southwest together with a low pressure system to the far south of Fiji generates and directs moderate to heavy southerly swells over the Fiji group: Forecast for Southern coastal areas of Mamanuca group, Viti-Levu, Kadavu, Beqa, Vatulele, Lomaiviti and Southern Lau waters. Over coastal/Land areas: Expect sea flooding especially during high tides. Over Waters: Damaging heavy swells with height upto 4m in open waters.
Forecast for the rest of Fiji waters: Moderate southerly swells. Swell Heights: Sunday 9th : 3.5m to 4.0m Monday 10th: 3.5m to 4.0m Tuesday 11th: 2.5m to 3.5m Tides High Tide: Monday 00.00am – 1.90m High Tide: Tuesday 01.00am – 1.93m
Marine Weather Bulletin Issued from the National Weather Forecasting Centre Nadi at 7:30pm on Sunday, the 9th of June 2019.
A STRONG WIND WARNING REMAINS IN FORCE FOR SOUTHWEST VITI LEVU WATERS, YASAWA AND MAMANUCA WATERS, KADAVU AND VATU-I-RA PASSAGES AND NORTHERN VANUA LEVU WATERS. A DAMAGING HEAVY SWELL WARNING REMAINS IN FORCE FOR THE SOUTHERN COASTAL AREAS OF MAMANUCA GROUP, VITI LEVU, KADAVU, BEQA, VATULELE, LOMAIVITI AND SOUTHERN LAU GROUP. Situation: A high pressure system to the far southwest together with a low pressure system to the far south of Fiji directs a moderate to heavy southerly swells over the group. Forecast to midnight tomorrow for Fiji waters: For Southwest Viti Levu, Yasawa and Mamanuca waters, Kadavu and Vatu-I-Ra passages and Northern Vanua Levu: Southeast winds 20 to 25 knots. Rough seas. For the southern coastal areas of Mamanuca group, Viti Levu, Kadavu, Beqa, Vatulele, Lomaiviti and Southern Lau group: Moderarte to heavy southerly swells. Further outlook: Southeasterly winds 20 to 25 knots with rough seas. Damaging heavy southerly swells.
For the rest of Fiji Waters: Southeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Moderate to rough seas. Moderate southerly swells. Further outlook: Southeasterly winds 15 to 20 knots. Moderate to rough seas. Moderate southerly swells.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 7 June 2019 Part 2
Two Ops, 22,000+ Q’s in the log (0630Z. 7 June)!
Quick note, 3D2CR on 160 Meters FT8 is in regular mode (NOT F&H).
Conway Reef is a desolate place!
Content (including images) may not be reproduced or distributed, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the Rebel DX Group.
Information from Wayne, N0UN.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 7 June 2019
After several attempts and several hours of trying, we have ditched our efforts of uploading an online log. Logs will uploaded to Club Log when the Team gets back to Fiji where we have regular high speed Internet connection(s).
Going forward on the Rebel Pacific Tour in the coming weeks and months, we will investigate other ways of transferring files. We will look at file transfers via HF radio and other means. Between the time and money required for online log uploads via satellite, we are seriously questioning the concept altogether. We are not a 20 man DXpedition that has raised a half a million dollars – we are a small group of dedicated Hams with our “lightweight” DXpeditions. We do not have “network experts” on board, nor will we carry network experts. We are Rebel Ham Radio operators.
We have 50 MB on one BGAN set aside for weather reports once we are on the open seas, and that’s the way it’s going to be. Like we mentioned in a previous post, it may be time to record your contacts so you don’t end up on the dupe list.
Travel by slow zodiac through a mile of coral reef (each way) takes time, but Dom is becoming familiar with the best paths and how much weight in food, fuel, etc. can be taken each trip, always remembering it all has to come back to the Rebel catamaran eventually.
Plans are at this time to pull up anchor on the 11th. Of course we are a dynamic DXpedition so times and dates can (and most probably will) change. We do not want to run ourselves into the ground at stop #1 when we still have several more stops in the Pacific planned.
Windy.com reports temperatures in the 70’s for Conway Reef, but the Team swears it’s 100 (38° C). And humid. Bugs are starting to bite, and we are aware of some wind gusts coming the next few days so we are taking precautions and reestablishing antennas. Not sure how Windy figures their information for an abandoned reef, but we have instruments on the reef and we assure you they are not the same readings relayed to the Team from Windy.com.
Look for us again during darkness on 80 and 160.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 6 June 2019 Inmarsat
The Rebels received emails from Paul, N6PSE with the knowledge he gained connecting to Inmarsat satellites during their 3D2C Conway Reef DXpedition in 2012. That information has been relayed to the Team, and they will utilize it in their next attempt at trying to acquire an internet signal. This “no Internet” issue has been pushed up a few rungs because of all the same mode, same band dupes they are logging. Of course an immediate update will be sent if a connection can be made and the compressed log file transferred. The satellite paths on Conway are nothing like most have seen (or looked for) before.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 6 June 2019
17,000+ Q’s in the log – hot sticky days, hot sticky nights.
And the birds are 120 db 24/7.
The 160 Meter vertical is going up again today. Winds have calmed down some, they are going to try. No guarantees.
The Rebels received emails from Paul, N6PSE with the knowledge he gained connecting to Inmarsat satellites during their 3D2C Conway Reef DXpedition in 2012. That information has been relayed to the Team, and they will utilize it in their next attempt at trying to acquire an internet signal. This “no Internet” issue has been pushed up a few rungs because of all the same mode, same band dupes they are logging. Of course an immediate update will be sent if a connection can be made and the compressed log file transferred. The satellite paths on Conway are nothing like most have seen (or looked for) before. Thanks for the help N6PSE and Graham, VK3GA! How did we all do this before the Internet, DX Cluster spots and computerized QSO’s? #spoiled
It is recommended you may wish to record your CW or SSB QSO with the Team. Why a recording? The mind is a fickle thing. I know it has helped me with an anti-climatic Q after hours of calling. By the time I thought I heard my call, the Q was practically over. After all that excitement, a minute later I can’t remember what I did or said. Going back to the recording has kept me out of the unnecessary dupe line many times. Maybe it will for you too.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 5 June 2019
Tack and Dom are grinding along with the “lightweight” Rebel DXpedition on Conway Reef. They are THE two Conway Reef operators. Dom is running SSB/FT8 and Tack is running CW/FT8. The Rebel catamaran is anchored a mile away. Taddy is keeping everything together on the reef including fueling, food and helping with antennas.
Speaking of antennas… ALL antennas are verticals. Tie downs, guy wires and even cables are being constantly bombed by what seems like millions of birds. At times, some brazen birds are trying to walk off with cables and equipment! Dom says it’s worse than the Alfred Hitchcock movie, lol.
Both BGAN terminals (separate accounts, numbers and laptops) are still not working on the reef. Minutes are prepaid, but neither will log in and acquire the Internet. Internet from Conway Reef is an ongoing and unresolved issue.
Windy.com shows constant winds at 13-15 knots, but the Team says it’s double that. The winds are preventing the build of the 160 and 80 Meter verticals. The 160 was built upon arrival, but collapsed soon after in the winds. Next attempt at their build appear to be Thursday morning as calmer winds are expected.
Several emails came in asking about 60 Meters. Dom has never operated there but says they have a couple miles of wire they can “tune a fish” with if needed. It is not out of the question and will be addressed as the DXpedition progresses.
The Rebel Team keeps plodding along. Steady as she goes. Nobody complaining, we all know what we signed up for – just giving you all the information we can.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 4 June 2019
3 days, over 10,300 QSO’s in the log. 2 Ops (Dom and Tack JE1CKA) getting with it.
In a somewhat surprising twist, Dom said he has called CQ on SSB on several bands for over a couple hours total time – to NO replies – so they keep going back to FT8 where there seems to always be an immediate pileup. He is quite dismayed nobody answers, but is trying his best at giving the Ham Community as many QSO’s as possible from Conway Reef.
Even though both BGAN (Broadband Global Area Network) terminals were checked and double checked on Fiji, Dom has been unable to secure an Internet connection from Conway Reef. He will continue attempts to connect, but after 3 days of trying, it may be that any online logs, pictures and emails may have to wait until they get back to Fiji.
3D2CR Conway Reef News 3 June 2019
Over 5K QSO’s in the log as of 0300Z (3 June, 2019). Problems with satellite beacon preventing log uploads at this time. Issue being worked on during breaks. The Rebel catamaran is anchored almost a mile (through coral) from team radio operations.
Using Chinese shipwreck San Sheng No.168 for shade (which now sits in middle of reef). No “green” on the reef anywhere. February cyclone wiped reef clean.
Dom, 3Z9DX informs dxnews.com that 3D2CR DX Pedition postponed.
3D2CR Conway Reef. Radio Amateurs members of Rebel DX Group and 3D2AG will be active as 3D2CR from Conway Reef, IOTA OC - 112, May - June 2018.
They will operate on HF Bands.
QSL via ClubLog OQRS, LOTW.
More information soon.